Thursday 26 July 2012

The Intimidation Syndrome

I enter the break room, tempted by the promise of my fellow receptionist at the front that there were chocolate bars to be had back here. (that's right folks, this one's gonna be in media res.) Of course, I had hoped they would have been in plain view and I could have subtly snatched one and made my sneaky escape. However, I am greeted by an empty counter top and one veterinarian standing idly waiting for her lunch to finish microwaving. My gut instinct is to turn around and retreat, but this would have been extremely odd and over dramatic given the circumstances. I boldly step forth, trying to remain casual.
Me: So, I hear there's a chocolate bar bonanza going on back here?
small pause
Me: I want in.
Vet: Oh yeah, I think they're in the bottom drawer there.
Me: This one?
Vet: No -
Me: Oh, this one. (grabs a chocolate bar) Aw yea...
exits room
Wow, I actually think that reading that is more painful than having been a part of it. Clearly, the awkward was a-rampaging in this sad happenstance. Why? Why did it have to be this way?
Because of the intimidation factor.
The intimidation factor can make people do one of two things: act overly-formal or act overly-casual. In this case I wanted so desperately to make the vet believe I was like whatever, she doesn't scare me, that I acted abnormal because of my strained casualness. Such is the woe of overthinking and trying to impress people. For some reason acting naturally completely evades you sometimes when it comes to dealing with people who are intimidating - I'm sure everyone can think of a time they said or did something totally stupid because of who they were talking to. Your brain just trips yourself up and once you've said something weird enough or done an awkward enough gesture, there's just no saving it. It's the time you clapped your friend's dad on the shoulder, immediately knew you stepped over the line, and could do nothing to make amends. It's just over.
If I can give you all any advice from my experiences, it's this: ALWAYS go for over-formal. You can do no wrong this way. The worst that can happen is that easygoing people will make fun of you, but at least that breaks the ice and then you can ease out of your overdone politeness. With over-casual, there is no win. The chances that people are going to be easygoing enough to accept that you are for some reason acting like their best friend are very slim. And if you go for over-formal, you are guaranteed to never experience the terrible moment where you jokingly say "shut up" to your friend's mom and forever feel regret and shame. (Yes, it happened to me.)

Hoping there was more smile than grimace in this post,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment