Tuesday 28 October 2014

Photo of the Week #5

Okay, I'm a little late on this one! Forgive me, my tiny readership!


This is a picture of my aunt and uncle's dog, Jake, that I took over the Thanksgiving weekend. As long as they've had this dog, he has come along with this hilarious "flinger" contraption which allows you to exert max laziness while interacting with your overly active Schnoodle. And he can chase those goddamn tennis balls FOR. EVER. I swear that if we didn't stop him, he would cheerfully expend all the calories in his body and die playing fetch. To die in your arms, tennis ball, is such a lovely way to die. Oh and that's my brother's knee, clad in his silly homemade pants. That's a story for another day.

Anyways, how bout dis shot?! I'm realizing more and more that as an ex-painter (that's depressing, let's call me a painter on hiatus) and art history enthusiast, I enjoy composing photos a lot more than thinking about how I can use the mechanics of the machine to produce cool pictures. It's just where my mind tends to go, so I'm kinda embracing that. I love the composition of this photo because all the lines of the image direct your focus to Jake's superexcitedOMGface even though he's not at the center of the photo, which is where our eyes usually migrate to. The horizon of the shot perfectly lines up with his eye height, naturally guiding your eye there, and the way the sun was setting happened to produce a shadow that creates a line from the bottom left corner directly to our lovely doggie as well. Finally, the bright orange tennis ball flinger points right at him and is a nice touch because we know exactly what he's thinking about!

It's fun how I wasn't even thinking about all these compositional elements at the time of taking the photo, but when I was scrolling through my photos for the day they jumped out at me and really made this the best photo of the day! This is also probably the last sunkissed photo on the blog for a while, since winter is descending here in E-Town. (I recently learned another Edmonton nickname is Edmonchuck...definitely doesn't roll off the tongue, in my opinion!) Excited to take some winter piccsxxcscsssccss though!

See you next (hopefully SNOWY) time!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment